Friday, June 17, 2022

Ida Belle Lasley, you were quite the non-conformist!

Ida Belle Lasley was my 2nd great grand aunt, and she certainly did not behave as a woman was expected to in the 19th century.  There are not many records documenting her short life, but the few facts unearthed in them are sure to raise a few eyebrows.

Ida was born on 9 Sep 1872 in St. Louis, Missouri (1), the eldest child of Joseph Thomas Lasley and Mary Jane Mathews.   In late July, 1886, at the ripe old age of 14, she ran away from her Pendleton, Umatilla Co., Oregon home with 22 year old Frederick Caviness, a horse trainer.  They were caught by the sheriff in Spokane Falls, Washington, where he was jailed (2).  He then went to Portland, Multnomah Co., Oregon, where he died just 4 months later on 12 November 1886 (3).  



Though Ida never married Fred, she used his surname when she married Robert E. Cook on 21 Dec 1886 in Portland, Oregon, just 5 months after she ran away with Fred, and one month after he died of poisoning (4).  Their marriage lasted four years, and they divorced 26 Dec 1890 in Oregon City, Clackamas Co., Oregon (5).

A decade later, she was enumerated on 4 Jun 1900 on the federal census in Montesano, Chehalis [now Grays Harbor] County, Washington with a woman named Jennie Van.  Their occupation was Prostitute (6).

I don't know when and where Ida met William A. Jolley, but they begin a relationship, and though they never married, he was with her at the end.

Transcriptions of two letters, one written by Ida, and the second by William, both addressed to her brother Fred, were sent to me by Linda Lasley, late of Bickleton, Klickitat Co., Washington:

"Olympia, Feb 24, 1908  Dear Sister, Bro & Babies.  Your letter found me yesterday propped up in a chair with pillow, and I am just the same today writing this letter so if I make any mistakes excuse them for I am almost blind.  I am a victim of Bright's disease and weather I can be cured or not we will not know for some time yet but what I feel so bad about is losing my eyesight but the doctor says when I begin to get better my eyes will get better.  I have an awful bad cold now and that makes everything worse.  I will be better as soon as I get over my cold  I am glad you like the things we sent.  The pictures and purses was my old man last year's samples, he has hundred of such things to give away each year for he gets new line of samples  You did not say if Earl's shirts fit him or not.  I was afraid they would be too small I bought them.  I was going to make Vesta some little dresses but I will have to give that up now as I can not see.  I was going to draw you off a shirtwaist pattern but I cannot see to do the even so I am going to send you my pattern and some day if I need them I will get them.  Dora I am afraid it wouldn't do me any good if I was up there now for I am not eating any kind of meat or potatoes.  What I eat most of is milk and bread and drink lots of buttermilk but if I was up there I would eat just one backbone and we may be up there sooner than we expected on account of my health.  Well Dora I started this two days ago but have been so sick I could not finish.  I thought of so much to write about when I started this letter but I can't think anything now.  Will have to wait till I feel better.  Fred do just as Mr. Faulkner tells you and everything will be O.K. for he know what is best.  I must close  love to you all Ida"

The Fred and Dora mentioned were her brother and sister-in-law (my 2nd great grandparents), and Vesta and Earl were their children, Ida's niece and nephew.  Vesta was my great-grandmother.

April 14, 1908  "Dear Sister & Brother:  Your letter received today glad to hear you are all well I tried to read it to Ida Dear but had to give it up.  She did not seem know who it was from.  She just lies in an unconcious condition from morning till night does not take any interest in anything the Dr just left here a few minutes ago.  he said that her troubles in this world would soon be over.  O it does seem that I cannot stand it, he told that she might leave us at any time within a few days and it was possible that she might linger also for a month or more.  "God" it is awful to sit night and day and see one whom you love die by inches.  She grows weaker and duller every hour.  I will write every few days.  Yours & etc W.A. Jolley"


Ida passed away two weeks later on 30 Apr 1908 in Olympia, Thurston Co., Washington, aged 35.  She was buried 1 May 1908 in Tumwater, Thurston Co., WA.  Her death certificate states she was buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery, but the Odd Fellows Memorial Park has no record of her burial there (1).  Though unmarried, her surname on the certificate was Jolley.





I'm sure there will be people out there who would judge her harshly, but I am not one of them.  Rest in peace, Ida Belle.


1.  Washington, Thurston, Certificate of Death, FHL #004220849, Image 2039 of 4704, familysearch.org

2.  The Oregonian, Monday, 2 Aug 1886, Portland, Or, page 3, genealogybank.com

3.  Sacramento Daily Union, Sacramento, CA, 15 Nov 1886, page 5, genealogybank.com

4.  Marriage Records of Multnomah County, Oregon, December 1885 - September 1888, Harriette Ward Park, Genealogical Forum of Oregon, Inc., Portland, OR, 1985

5.  Clackamas, Oregon, Clerk of the Circuit Court, Journal 9, page 37, Dissolution of Marriage

6.  1900 Federal Census, Montesano, Chehalis, Washington, ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elizabeth, wife of Edward Morgan of PA, was probably the sister of John Williams of Cheltenham, Montgomery, PA

I recently discovered that a person going by the handle "MableJaneStone1" on familysearch.org (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/p...